Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Procrastination Pay Offs

"Do you know anything about child psychology?" asked an anxious, young mom outside ballet class. She seemed confused when I started laughing hysterically; I could see she was desperate so I quickly replied "I only have one and she was an accident", freeing her up to seek advise elsewhere. But the stress melted off her face and she started laughing too. I suppose the realization that for some, parenting was not only not scrutinized, it wasn't even planned, was somewhat liberating, and set aside whatever issue she was fretting over (what it was, by the way, I did not bother to ask).

Accidents are modi operandi for procrastinators. My accidents certainly have caused me a lot of angst as well as cost me a lot of cash. However, some of the best things in my life have also been the result of accidents, including my greatest mistake, motherhood. Sometimes procrastination pays off.

"Accident is the name of the greatest of all inventors."
- Mark Twain

3 comments:

  1. Love your post!
    I always take those questions personally--Do I LOOK like someone who SHOULD know about child psychology? The child is kooky, not crazy. We encourage kooky.
    And I think there is WAY too much thought going into parenting. Please...the poor children--they just want hang out and procrastinate with mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! And too bad we can't treat parenthood like other unplanned mistakes -- a burned dinner, for instance. Throw it away and order pizza. Instead we have to struggle and scrape off the burned parts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LazyMom I wish you were around when I had a young child; I felt like I was in the land of the Pod Parents - women I had known for years got exchanged for full-time mommies that didn't talk about anything except how johnny gets without naptime or how his latest feat (like rolling over) demonstrates his brilliance.

    Evelyn, I like pizza.

    ReplyDelete